Compost your real Christmas tree
Help keep Christmas trees out of the landfill this season. To compost your real Christmas tree, remove all lights, ornaments, tinsel and garland then:
Option 1: Put your tree in your green cart
- Cut your tree into small pieces to fit inside your green cart. Make sure the lid can close.
- Put extra branches into paper yard waste bags, roll closed and set at least 0.5 metres (2 feet) to the side of your green cart.
Trees that are not prepared this way will not be collected.
Option 2: Bring to a tree drop-off from December 26 to January 31
Take your whole tree to one of our temporary drop-off locations.
- Remove lights, ornaments and tree stand.
- Do not wrap or bag your tree, even if the bag is labelled compostable or biodegradable.
- If you wrap your tree to transport it, remove the bag or wrapping before dropping off.
Visit calgary.ca/christmastree for more information and to see the list of drop-off locations.